Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Advertisement Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Updating Jukebox to include my own music?

Maybe this is included in the Roadmap updates to the Jukebox.... But I GM a very large amount of Star Wars games. Being able to import my own star-warsey maps and tiles is fantastic - but I also love using the soundtracks for my games. However, I don't have the opportunity to port any of my own copious space-opera themed (including Star Wars soundtrack) music into the Jukebox. Any plans to allow the GM to use their own music files in the Jukebox?
I suppose it would quickly become a copyright nightmare.
Me and a friend figured out how to play the music we wanted by uploading the actual files to an account on Soundcloud and pasting the URL into the search bar in Roll20. But Soundcloud doesn't allow copyrighted music, which can be a pain. Hopefully at some point they'll let you do something like upload music to their servers the way you can with images and play it through there.
I would say that hosting people's uploaded tracks WOULD be a copyright annoyance, BUT just letting us put in whatever URL we want to bring music into our games provided the file is the right format would be much less of an issue. That's what I'd like to see.
When you search for tracks from the jukebox choose "All Music" in the drop-down and search for song titles, there's almost every music track imaginable.
This is my biggest gripe with the game atm. I like the jukebox idea but when I discovered I couldn't import music I was sad. :(
The copyright issue... not sure if there is one. NO ONE ELSE can download these files - and if they're really concerned - they could just not host them. It would be less user-friendly, but forcing the GM to "load in" in those proprietary music files each time might avoid any copyright enfringement. (Though it would be a pain, it'd be better than not having the option at all.) Plus - they allow people to upload their own map and token images. Art is copyrighted as heavily as music. ;-) So how are they getting around that?
Jerome C.
KS Backer
I definitely agree with this. I have a whole host of sound clips/music that I would like to use in my campaign (and would, in a physical tabletop game), but am unable to utilize when playing with roll20 :(
Roll20 looks promising, but is missing some things I currently consider essential. This particular lack is the top reason I'm not using it yet. Right now I'm using MapTool, Skype, and Pamela to run our GURPS adventures online. I would love to replace it all with Roll20, but I need to be able to use my own sound library apart from SoundCloud.
Jim H.
KS Backer
Is there a way to just stream music, straight from the GM's computer to the Players' computers? I don't know why Sam's comment got voted down, doesn't the jukebox have loads of appropriate music? There are quite a handful of bands/companies that sell CDs and MP3s of ambient music which I assume they understand is going to be played by us geeks while Roleplaying. It'd be nice for us to use our collections as they're intended for.
Igf there is no money being made off of the use of the music or in conjunction with it the activity that the music is being played with, there shouldn't be a copy right issue. People who have a block party or a birthday party do not have cease and desists letters sent to them for violating copy rights (well not yet), I don't see why a closed game session where there is no money being made off of the activities being presented should be any different. I hope there is some way to stream music in, other wise I just wasted my time signing up for this VTT. I had hopes this one would have a music cloud element, unlike all the other poorly constructed VTT I have previewed so far.
Is there a way to just stream music, straight from the GM's computer to the Players' computers? I don't know why Sam's comment got voted down, doesn't the jukebox have loads of appropriate music? There are quite a handful of bands/companies that sell CDs and MP3s of ambient music which I assume they understand is going to be played by us geeks while Roleplaying. It'd be nice for us to use our collections as they're intended for. Exactly, I have a large collection of dark wave, ambient and electronic music I specifically bought for use in sci fi games. I hope some of the ideas presented above work, I would hate to try to use this system without music.
The copyright issue... not sure if there is one. NO ONE ELSE can download these files - and if they're really concerned - they could just not host them. It would be less user-friendly, but forcing the GM to "load in" in those proprietary music files each time might avoid any copyright enfringement. (Though it would be a pain, it'd be better than not having the option at all.) Plus - they allow people to upload their own map and token images. Art is copyrighted as heavily as music. ;-) So how are they getting around that? I agree, the art should be the same issue as well. I use Obsidian Portal and I use hundreds of megs of copy righted material providing there is a mention of the author in the wiki, but realistically I have no clue who all the artists are. If I was re posting hundreds of Disney or Marvel images, and the game got popular I might expect some issues, but in general this happens all the time.
There should be a way for us to play private videos on Soundcloud (ie, the roll20 "bot" has a soundcloud account and we can give that account access to the files). I added a bunch of copyrighted gaming music a week ago and nothing has happened to it yet. I am hopeful that as long as no one reports it, it will stay there (I gave the music ambiguous names, so people won't find it if they are actually looking for music from the games). I can understand why roll20 won't let us upload our own music to the jukebox as that would be a massive amount of bandwidth being used, but there should be some feature, at least in Google Hangouts, that let's us stream music from the DM's computer. A possible workaround would be to just host an internet radio station and have all of your players connect to it. That's another additional piece to the puzzle though, if you are already using hangouts, so I don't know how many hurdles players should be expected to go through to get this functionality.
I'm on a Mac and use the shareware app, Sound Flower to pipe music into my games.
Jim H.
KS Backer
Other than upping to Soundcloud, there's a few providers on the internet that allow you to have a free radio station. Just have everyone Log in and listen to your station. Shoutcast and Listen2MyRadio seem to offer decent services for free.
I'm on a Mac and use the shareware app, Sound Flower to pipe music into my games. How does it work? Do your players need to have Sound Flower too? Is it another channel (like a Skype application dedicated to music?).
Axel Castilla
KS Backer
I don't know Sound Flower. What about Syrinscape (<a href="http://www.syrinscape.com" rel="nofollow">www.syrinscape.com</a>)? They are planning to update the app and requesting user feedback, but I believe that right now it streams sounds and complex soundscapes for online role playing. Now, I'd prefer to be able to upload my preferred audio and music files here for using them directly with the Roll20 interface. After all, it has a dedicated tab for it! Having an unused feature like the Jukebox in Roll20 would be rather inelegant.
Eric D.
Roll20 Mod Team
We've addressed this several times. We have no plans to allow user-uploaded music primarily due to concerns around copyright issues. If this is a big requirement SoundCloud accepts user provided uploads: <a href="http://soundcloud.com/upload" rel="nofollow">http://soundcloud.com/upload</a>